If you’ve upgraded to Windows 11, you’ll find that Microsoft Edge is your default browser. This is very important because it is the default browser, the browser that opens when you click a link in another application such as email, Windows search box or instant messenger.
Save yourself the surprise when another browser pops up instead of Chrome when you click on a link by following this post. Here I will help you learn how to set Chrome as default browser in Windows 11 PC & laptop. First, let’s know why it might be a better option for you to use Chrome instead of Edge.
Table of Contents
Why Chrome is a Better Browser for Your Windows 11 PC?
Google Chrome browser, released in 2008, is currently the most installed web browser. This is no mistake or luck. Google Chrome is a fast web browser, and among other advantages, you can drag tabs to other windows. It is also very basic and easy to use.
First, why do you need a default web browser in the first place? The default web browser is the app that runs automatically when you click on a web page, link, or document.
For example, Windows 11 includes Microsoft Edge as the default browser. If you use these browsers in normal use, you may lose a minute or two of valuable time because of the delay in loading time. Perhaps Microsoft is carefully restructuring its browser under the Chromium project and competing fiercely with Google Chrome.
However, features such as Google account password and bookmark sync, extension support, and pre-cross-device still opt for Chrome # 1 over competitors. To continue browsing in Chrome, you need to switch your default browser setting to Chrome.
Before we go any further, you will need to first have the Google Chrome browser installed into your Windows 11 computer.
Install Google Chrome on Windows 11
- First, open Microsoft Edge or any other browser if there is any from the ‘Start Menu’ on your Windows 11 PC.
- Next, to download Chrome go to google.com/chrome and tap on the ‘Download Chrome’ button on the website.
- Now, Edge will download the ChromeSetup.exe file on your PC or laptop.
- Next, You will see a download banner when the download is complete, select the ‘Open file’ option from the banner box which will take you to the directory in File Explorer where the file is downloaded.
- Finally, double-click on the downloaded file to install Google Chrome, and after that just follow the on-screen instructions, and you are all set!
2 Ways to Set Chrome as Default Browser in Windows 11
After you have successfully installed Chrome on your PC, There are two methods you can make Chrome your default browser. The first method that you can do is from your Chrome Settings app and the other is from the Windows 11 Settings. Let’s take a look at both of them.
Method 1. Make Chrome Default Browser in Windows 11 using Chrome Settings
Google’s Chrome browser provides you with a convenient solution. You just need to go to its settings and make it your default browser. This is how you do it:
- To set Chrome as default browser in Windows 11, first open Chrome by clicking on the ‘Chrome’ icon in the Start Menu, Windows Taskbar, or from your desktop.
- Next, tap on the (three vertical dots) menu in the upper right corner of your screen.
- Then, find the ‘Settings’ option from the overflow menu and tap on it.
- Now, tap on the ‘Default browser’ option on the left section of the Chrome window.
- Tap on the ‘Make default’ button present on the screen.
- After you click on the ‘Make default’ button in Chrome, your ‘Default Apps’ window in the system ‘Settings’ will open.
- Now, you can either set Chrome to be your default option by the file/link type, or you can go to the ‘Chrome’ app menu to set it to default for all the supported file types.
That’s it, Google Chrome has been set as your default browser on Windows 11.
Method 2. Make Chrome Default Browser in Windows 11 using Windows Settings
Windows 11 allows you to easily change the default applications by centralizing the default applications in one place. Once you know where to go, it becomes as simple as possible.
Follow the below steps to set Chrome as default browser in Windows 11 using Windows Settings app:
- To get started, first tap on the ‘Start Menu’ and go to the ‘Settings’ app present on the menu.
- Alternatively, you can also use Windows + I shortcut from your keyboard directly to launch the ‘Settings’ app.
- Now, tap on the ‘Apps’ option from the left panel in the Settings screen.
- Next, select the ‘Default apps’ option from the ‘Apps’ settings screen.
- Now you will have 2 options in front of you. You can choose Chrome as your default app by searching for a particular file type or you can search for the ‘Chrome’ app and select the file types it should open by default on the next screen.
This is how you can set or make Chrome default browser in Windows 11 PC & laptop. For that, you need to have Google Chrome installed in your Windows 11 computer, and then you have two ways to set Google Chrome as your default browser in your computer. You can either use Chrome Settings or you can use Windows 11 Settings. Both methods are pretty simple and easy. Lastly! Enjoy Windows 11! 😊