Have you heard about the new OS, know as macOS Monterey or macOS 12, for Mac? Do you want to try it on your Windows 10 Computer? If you want, then you are in the right place. In this article, I will show you how to Install macOS Monterey on VMware on Windows 10 PC & laptop stepwise. I need you to read this post to the end and provide your thought regarding our guidance.
Table of Contents
Does macOS Monterey Work on your PC?
At WWDC 2021, Apple released iOS 15, iPadOS 15, WatchOS 8, and finally macOS Monterey. Compared to macOS Big Sur, macOS Monterey (macOS 12) is striking in appearance and style. I know about universal controls, shortcuts, emojis, and other great new features, but you can’t ignore the look and feel. With macOS Monterey (macOS 12), its M1 chip works fine, but some features will not be available on some Intel Macs.
The same goes for virtual machines, some features may not be available, but if you are a developer, you can continue to use them. You can use XCode in VMWare and it will solve your problem, although I am 100% sure because it is currently in beta.
Also, you might be wondering how macOS feels and what is the difference between Windows and macOS 12. How to create a bootable USB, how to install software on mac, or even uninstall apps on macOS? These simple and curious questions will take you into the macOS environment and find the answers yourself.
Steps to Install macOS Monterey on VMware on Windows 10 PC & Laptop
Below I’ll show you how you can install macOS Monterey on your Windows 10 Computer in five easy steps. The steps are as follows:
- Download and Install the Prerequisites.
- Unlock VMware to Install macOS. Monterey on Windows.
- Create a New Virtual Machine for macOS 12 Monterey on Windows 10.
- Edit macOS Monterey VMX File.
- Install macOS Monterey on VMware on Windows 10 PC and finally do some basic settings.
1. Download and Install the Prerequisites
To install macOS Monterey on your Windows 10 computer, you should download and install some files and applications. You will need them later on in this tutorial. But remember to skip it if you have done any of the following already. Here is the list of things you need to download:
- Download VMware Workstation Pro 16.1.x or VMware Player 16.1.x
- Download the macOS Unlocker V3 for VMware
- Download – GitHub (latest Version)
- Direct Download – MediaFire (3.0.3)
- Create or Download macOS Monterey ISO
Now install the VMware Workstation Pro or VMware Player 16.1.x applications, if you happen to already have them, you can skip them. But make sure it is compatible with your system.
After you’ve downloaded the VMware Workstation pro/player, you can run the installer and follow the prompts, keeping all the default options.
2. Unlock VMware to Install macOS Monterey on your Windows PC
First, make sure that the VMware Workstation application is completely closed; otherwise, the VMware unlocker will not work. To do that you need to tap on the File Tab > Exit.
The reason we installed win-install.cmd is because macOS does not appear in the guest operating system list by default. Therefore, we run this script to enable macOS in the guest operating system list.
3. Create a New Virtual Machine for macOS 12 Monterey on Windows 10
To run macOS Monterey on a Windows 10 PC you need to create a new Virtual Machine. You can do it by following the below steps:
- First, go to VMware and tap on Create a New Virtual Machine (Ctrl+N) then click on Typical (Recommended) and tap on Next.
- Next, check I will install the operating system later and tap on Next. Select Apple Mac OS X from the operating system list then tap on macOS 11.1 from the version drop-down list and tap on Next.
- Now, choose a name for your virtual machine like macOS Monterey. tap on Browse then select a location to save virtual machine files and tap on Next, or you may let it as default.
- Next, select the disk size of 124 GB or more than 50 GB. Then choose Store virtual disk as a single file and tap on Next
- On the Ready to Create Virtual Machine page, tap on Customize Hardware.
- Now, you may increase the Memory from 4 GB to 8 GB or higher for better performance.
- Next, go to the Processors menu then for better performance, increase the CPU processors core from 2 cores to 4 or Higher cores.
- Note: If you want to run macOS Monterey on a Windows 10 PC, the minimum requirement for Memory and Processor is 4 GB Memory and 2 Cores of Processors.
- Now, you may tap on New CD/DVD (SATA) from the menu then tap on Use ISO image file: and click Browse.
- Find the macOS 12- 21A5248p.iso file then click Open. If you don’t have this file then you need to download it from Step 1: Download and install the Prerequisites section.
- After adding the macOS Monterey ISO click Close to save all changes.
- Finally, tap on ‘Finish‘ on the New Virtual Machine Wizard Window.
4. Edit macOS Monterey VMX File
- For editing the VMX file, Go to the virtual machine folder which you selected before in this guide. If you haven’t chosen a new location, then the default location is in Document > Virtual Machine.
- Now, right-click on macOS12.vmx then open it via Notepad or any third-party text editor.
- Go to the bottom of texts and add the following code; then tap on File > Save. Now you can close it.
smc.version = "0"
5. Install macOS Monterey on VMware on Windows 10 PC & Laptop
After getting everything ready, now it’s time to install macOS Monetary on your Windows 10 computer. You can do it by following the below steps:
- Launch VMware and tap on ‘Power on this Virtual Machine’ on the macOS Monterey VM windows and wait for it to boot up.
- Next, choose your preferred language on the language page then tap on the Next Arrow icon.
- Now, tap on the Disk Utility and select Continue.
- Next, Choose VMware Virtual SATA Hard Drive Media then tap on Erase.
- Now, for the Name, enter disk macOS12HD then select APFS from Format drop-down list and tap on Erase.
- Tap on Done to close the dialogue box.
- From Disk Utility Tab, tap on Quit Disk Utility.
- Tap on Install macOS 12 Beta and tap on Continue twice.
- You need to agree to the terms and conditions of the software license agreement.
- Tap on the available disk then press the Install button.
- Now, after restarting 2 or 3 times the installation of macOS Monterey will be completed. It can take about 15-30 minutes depending on your system.
Complete Basic macOS Account Settings
After you were successful to install macOS Monterey on VMware on Windows 10 PC or laptop, you need to complete some basic account settings depending on your preferences.
- First, select your preferred language.
- Now you can select the country where you live. Choose it so that country’s language should be input on the keyboard.
- With the accessibility, you can adapt the mac according to your preferences, if you need it enable it, if not you can skip it.
- Choose ‘My computer does not connect to the internet and ignore the internet warning. Don’t worry your internet will work
- Read Data & Privacy and click Continue.
- In this step, we have no business with Migration since we are performing a clean installation. You can tap on Not now.
- Now, tap on Agree with the terms and conditions to move to the next step.
- Next, you need to create a Computer account with a strong password for your privacy matters and tap on continue.
- Click Continue on Make This Your New Mac Window.
- If you are interested in monitoring your weekly reports, app downtime, or uptime, you can go for Screen time. If not you can tap on setup later and move on to the next step.
- Now, tap on Continue if you want to use Siri on your mac, if not uncheck the box next to Siri.
- Finally, select your preferred theme for your macOS Monterey or macOS 12.
Pro tips: if you want your macOS Monterey to work smoothly and fast on VMware on your PC, we recommend installing VMware Tools.
That’s how you can Install macOS Monterey on VMware on Windows 10 PC and laptop with ease and with a step-by-step guide. If you have any kind of questions or encounter any kind of problem, please let me know in the comment section. Good Luck!