Notifications are a great way to keep you up to date on all things happening on the system. They can be notifications from apps or notifications directly from your device. These small alerts can help you keep track of the overall health of your device.
However, when notifications keep coming in, they can pile up and confuse. Continuous notifications can also be troublesome, especially if they are regular. So in this guide, I will show you how to turn off notifications on your Windows 11 PC or laptop and make yourself free of the clutches of persistent notifications.
Table of Contents
Why Notifications Can be Bad?
For several main reasons, notification is a problem. In particular, they are distracting. Whether it’s a red digital pop-up, vibration, or audible notification in your favorite apps, these alerts are designed to get your attention. They are almost impossible to ignore. If you are doing something important, your concentration will drift and your efficiency will immediately decrease. Some studies show that it takes a full 23 minutes to regain attention after being distracted, which means that each new notification can affect your concentration for up to 23 minutes.
Notifications can be a bit addictive too. For example, the social media app itself is designed to produce dopamine release like a slot machine, making our notification expectations so high that we feel randomly spaced ghost notifications. If we are not notified for a long time, we may even experience very mild withdrawal symptoms or anxiety.
So let’s see how to get rid of Notifications in Windows 11.
How to Turn Off Notifications on your Windows 11 PC
So if you want to increase your productivity and say no to distraction, you may need to disable notifications on your Windows 11 PC or laptop. For doing that, I will show you two ways. One is that you can turn off or disable all notifications from all apps and the other is that you can do it for some specific apps like Google Chrom.
1. Disable or Turn off all Notifications in Windows 11
Using the below steps you can turn off all notifications from all apps in Windows 11.
- To get started, tap on the ‘Start’ button on your Windows 11 computer and then tap on the ‘Settings’ icon that shows on the Start menu.
- Alternatively, you can also open the Windows Settings app by right-clicking the Windows or ‘Start’ button and choosing ‘Settings’ from the pop-up.
- After opening the ‘Settings’ app, it would take you to the ‘System Settings’ page by default.
- Now, on the System Settings window, find the Notification option and tap on it.
- On the Notifications settings page, turn off the ‘Notification’ option. It will be the first option on the page. The toggle must show ‘OFF’.
- All notifications will now be turned off.
That’s it! After this, you won’t get any kind of notifications on your Windows 11 PC.
2. Turn off Notifications from Specific Apps in Windows 11
If you don’t want to turn off all app notifications, you can choose the ones you don’t want to see. This way, you can continue to actively receive notifications from other apps.
Note: To do this, make sure to turn on “Notifications” at the top of the system notifications page.
- To turn off notifications for specific apps, click on the ‘Start Menu’ button on your Windows 11 computer and then click on the ‘Settings’ icon that shows on the Start menu.
- After opening the ‘Settings’ app, it will take you to the ‘System Settings’ window.
- Now, On the Notifications settings page, scroll down to find ‘Notifications from apps and other senders’.
- Here, deselect the apps and senders that you want to turn off notifications from them. Tap the toggle bar of those apps/senders such that it turns to ‘OFF’ from ‘ON’.
You will no longer receive notifications from the deselected applications and senders.
These are two options that you have in front of you to disable or turn off notifications on your Windows 11 PC or laptop. You can either turn all notifications off or turn some apps notifications. Maybe this one thing can be a step toward your productivity. Good Luck!